Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pavo Real, but Mexican Real?

Pavo Real is one of two Mexican restaurants in Muscat (and in Oman for that matter). Crazy, I know. The wait staff was unfortunately dressed in a uniform consisting of a cowboy hat, leather vest and jeans....but they were friendly and competent. Lit with very dim lights and table candles, it was a dark but romantic atmosphere, somewhat spoiled by a play list of "Home on the Range" and "My Achy Breaky Heart," which I certainly could have done without. The chips and salsa passed the homemade requirement, but we end up being charged for the first basket they brought (which was tiny), and for the second round which we ordered. Real Mexican restaurants have bottomless tortilla chips and salsa. That's just a must.
When the food came, it was good and served generously on big platters. It was too greasy and too heavy, but it was tasty. I did feel a bit ill after my camarones del mar seafood dish, but that might just be a result of overeating...
Over all, it was good, but not great. Certainly not worth the hype it's gotten and not worth the pretty penny it costs. Dinner for two without drinks or appetizers cost 18 riyals (almost $50). Considering that the Mexican dive that was my husband old high school hangout is just as tasty, has free chips and salsa, and costs 1/5 the amount, I think I'll pass next time. That said, it is one of two Mexican places in Oman, and it needed to be done once.

2 comments:

  1. Is the other one in Muscat City Center mall? I went to one there that was at least from a Finnish perspective both Mexican and decent. Although for me slightly too family friendly (i.e. lots of small children), and as it's inside a mall it's hardly the place I'd go for a proper dinner.

    I've been reading through both of your blogs with great interest, as I'm planning relocating to Oman with my partner. Actually, I thought maybe you could give us a bit of advice? She's thinking about studying there while I'm looking for a job. Do you have any tips on where a female 30-something westerner could look for educational opportunities? We've checked GUTech (rather expensive) and Sultan Qaboos University (where we couldn't find the undergraduate tuition rates). She's interested in environmental issues but open to alternatives, and would be starting the studies from scratch.

    Any tips you might have would come in handy! Thanks,

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leo,
    Sorry it's been so long. I believe the other "real" Mexican restaurant in Muscat is Senor Pico's in the Intercontinental hotel. It's supposed to be really good, but equally expensive, something like $50 person.
    I hope you and your partner do relocate to Oman. There is lots to do here. I haven't, however, heard of an westerners going to school here, unless it's for Arabic. If she's into environmental issues, I would try contacting the Environmental Society of Oman. http://www.environment.org.om/

    Good luck and keep reading!

    ReplyDelete